Xerostomia, often called dry mouth, is a medical condition affecting millions of people worldwide. It is a common problem that can range from being a minor annoyance to a significant health issue with serious consequences. A variety of factors, including medication, aging, and certain medical conditions, can cause xerostomia. The effects of this condition can manifest in different ways, from difficulty speaking or swallowing to an increased risk of dental problems.
Effects of Xerostomia
- Decreased saliva production
- Increased risk of cavities and tooth decay
- Difficulty speaking and swallowing
- Burning sensation in the mouth and throat
- Altered sense of taste
- Oral infections due to bacteria build-up
- Cracked and dry lips
- Change in oral flora
- Bad breath
Treatment of Xerostomia
Treatment of xerostomia, or dry mouth, involves addressing the underlying cause and managing the symptoms. Here are some suggestions for treating xerostomia:
1. Identify and address the underlying cause: Consult with a healthcare professional to determine the root cause of your xerostomia. It could be due to medications, medical conditions, or lifestyle factors. Your doctor may adjust your medications or recommend treatments for underlying health issues.
2. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your mouth moist. Avoid beverages that can cause dehydration, such as alcohol and caffeine.
3. Use saliva substitutes: Over-the-counter artificial saliva products can help provide temporary relief from dry mouth symptoms.
4. Stimulate saliva production: Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free candies to increase saliva flow. Look for products containing xylitol, which can help prevent cavities.
5. Maintain good oral hygiene: Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, and visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings.
Remember to consult with us at Wilmington Periodontics and Implants for personalized advice and recommendations based on your specific situation. If you have any more questions, please reach out to us. Our team of excellent dental professionals is here to assist you.